Sunday, January 16, 2011

Trust=Surrender

Have you ever seen or participated in exercises where two people are to do something to produce trust between one another? The simplest one is to fall backwards into the other person's arms, trusting that they will not let you fall. It's HARD!
In our lesson on TRUST this evening, Olin pointed to Abraham's TRUST exercise--
Offering as a sacrifice his SON, believing that God would work it out.  
  A bit harder, yes?
Olin made the point that faith thrives when we  surrender to God.
Abraham's did.
SURRENDER
I've been thinking a lot about surrender over the past few months since I read this quote from The Purpose Driven Life:    You know you're surrendered to God when you rely on God to work things out instead of trying to manipulate others, force your agenda and control the situation. You let go and let God work. You don't always have to be in charge.

Psalm 37:7 says Surrender yourself to the Lord and wait patiently. (Ever notice how God's word can say so much in so few words?)

Every time I read the above quotes they take my breath away. Do these people know me?! Oh yah, the second author does know me. He knows surrender is very hard for me. He knows that I like to be in charge.
But He is working on me. He is teaching me to surrender- to let go. And, to my great surprise, it feels really good!


2 comments:

  1. I'm trying to learn this lesson again, or maybe for real this time....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya! I guess we never stop learning . . . and re-learning.

    ReplyDelete